I found out that the anniversary of the Roe vs. Wade decision has just passed us. In honor of this I sat down to think about just why I am pro-choice. Here are the reasons I came up with.
I am pro-choice because…
- I believe children should have the right to be born to parents that want them.
- I feel women should have the right to control what substances (birth control, penises, and semen all included) go into and out of their bodies as much as is possible.
- I think men should be protected from people that would use a pregnancy (fake or real) to trap them in a loveless partnership or marriage.
- I support the idea that homosexual and non-traditional couples and committed groups should be celebrated for wanting to offer a loving home to unwanted children.
- I am a human being who believes that the battle for equal rights and treatment is not over.
- I look to the future instead of clinging to a past steeped in unhelpful traditions and stereotypes.
- I hope for the continued improvement of civil rights and liberties in the world.
- I feel that pro-life is often just another way of saying anti-choice or pro-prejudice.
- I believe that people should think about and discuss difficult topics even at inconvenient or socially “inappropriate” times (for example: Easter dinner)
- I hope that otherwise close-minded individuals will see this post and stop to think about their own beliefs whether they ultimately change their minds or not.
- I am pro-choice.